* Apply before: 4th of January 2021
This position is for you:
• If you are passionate about the beauty of the map product, its complexity and variety and its added-value !
• If you are looking for a new challenge to animate a various mapping team and an opportunity to further advance your management skills in a humanitarian sector
• If you have the appetite to lead, mentor, coach and facilitate brainstorming on different types of subjects, challenges and different technologies regarding the maps.
• If you have a strong interest in understanding humanitarian and development organizations’ needs and constraints and delivering targeted quality solutions to field operations as well as headquarters.
• If you are passionate about collaborative and team work to bring the best technical solutions adapted to any given situation to solve key humanitarian challenges.
• If you enjoy discovering and testing new technologies and have a creative and resourceful mind.
I. Presentation of the organization
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a French "H2H" (Humanitarians to Humanitarians, i.e. an NGO working in support of other NGOs) non-governmental organization specialized in mapping and information management support for humanitarian and development organizations. Our core expertise is geographic information, but we have extended it other the years to other technologies (mobile data collection, information management, remote sensing, drones, participatory mapping, etc.).
We support international aid organizations, NGOs and public authorities by providing tools, services & trainings that allow them to better plan, implement and evaluate their programs, therefore improving the impact of humanitarian aid in favor of the most vulnerable. We focus on training local staff and collaborating with local communities, in order to provide projects that are sustainable and tailored to the needs and priorities of the people we are seeking to assist.
We work with local, national and international organizations, in particular NGOs specialized emergency response and development as well as UN agencies; MSF, UNHCR, AFD, Terre des Hommes, etc.: complete list here. CartONG is a fast growing & dynamic organization, gathering around 30 international staffs and 50 active volunteers.
Our headquarters are based in Chambéry - a short train ride away from Geneva and Lyon and their international airports. Chambéry is a vibrant student and family city with many great bars and restaurants, located in the heart of the French Alps and surrounded by the Bauges and Chartreuse mountain ranges.
We are currently looking for a Mapping services coordinator to join our team.
• Contract Type: starting with fixed-term contract (CDD) of 12 months with the objective of making it permanent if wished by both parties
• Start Date: ASAP
• Location: Chambéry (France)
• Salary: calculated with CartONG’s salary grid based on experience, 39 hours/week contract (35 h + 4 extra hours paid)
• Other benefits: additional health insurance & public transportation monthly pass covered at 50% by employer
Based mainly at the headquarters of the NGO, you will be leading the mapping service team for one of our main partners. Key responsibilities include communication and coordination.
You will play a critical role by supervising the service but also bringing new ideas on contents, formats, and technical approaches on making useful and beautiful maps. In complex organization such as our main partner, organization’s adaptability, agility, and ability to manage constant change through innovation can be keys to success. You will support and make the process more efficient and effective. You will also be responsible for the quality of products and put in place quality control good practices. As the position will be focusing on our main partner working in emergency situations, adaptability, flexibility as well as being a problem solver will be key for the position.
In this context, your assignments are:
Mapping Services Coordinator
• Plan and coordinate mapping services’ delivery to the partner in regular and in rush mode, monitoring the ticketing system
• Build and maintain relationships with requesters, working to continuously improve the level of service by ensuring that requesters’ requirements and organizational service targets are met
• Analyze cartographic and data management needs and prioritize the GIS response accordingly
• Review GIS pole production of static and online maps to ensure products are consistent with the requests
• Supervise relevant maps and resources harvesting and feed of catalogs
• Coach and train the team, develop and improve good practices
• Supervise consultants on mapping requests (when outsourcing is necessary), ensure the needs are met and CartONG’s high level of quality is preserved
• Supervise interns working on mapping requests
Technical: GIS Officer
• Produce static and online maps, using templates and style
• Be involved in the global reflection and implementation of graphic charter of the partner for documentation, static and online maps, web application, and material for communication.
• Improve the contents, formats and processes of maps creation, static and online
• Follow up with the partner on technical aspects if applicable
• Technology watch for future developments
• Write technical documentation
• In collaboration with the technical team within the partner and CartONG, build and populate the geodatabases according to template and processes
• Improve and systematize data collection, data mining and integration of GIS data in the database
• Work on ArcGIS Server, for publishing services
• Implement and support quality control processes for mapping, web applications and other products done by CartONG, as well as for static maps produced in the field.
• Technical support for field GIS specialists
Technical: Training facilitator
• Facilitate GIS trainings and train potential trainers
• Work together with the GIS pole to ensure training supports are standardized
• Participate in training material creation
• Participate to activities supporting CartONG's associative mission whenever possible and relevant: exchanges with the Board and other members including during get-togethers and green days, involvement in internal trainings, support to volunteer projects, support to projects concerning the whole organization
• Contribute to events and workshops organized by CartONG such as the GeOnG forum
• Participate proactively to the association's communication by writing news, blog posts and other products, as well as representing CartONG during tech-oriented and/or humanitarian events and conferences
You will go to Geneva or other locations, and might travel regularly in Europe and periodically for short field missions. The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent in the context of emergency humanitarian organizations (late work, rush situations).
Academic background: Master's Degree or equivalent in GIS or a related field.
Experience: 2/5 years in the development and implementation of GIS / WebGIS solutions
Knowledge and Experiences:
• Good knowledge of the wide range of GIS solutions: from mapping to servers through web mapping and database management
• Ability to quickly understand partners’ needs in order to translate them into requirements and to enjoy finding the best technical solution, including benchmarking & testing
• Strong relational skills allowing you to interact with a wide range of actors and units within the partners’ organization (technical, communication, management, etc.)
• Strong Leadership and organizational skills, ability to do time estimates and team coordination.
• Graphic sensitivity and creativity
• Force of proposal, spirit of mutual aid
• Ability to overcome technical problems
• Rigor, autonomy, flexibility and curiosity
• Knowledge of Change Management, an asset
• Leaderships skills
• Continually assess product quality and release readiness
• Autonomous but enjoying team work.
• Appetite for team coordination / coaching
• Interest in humanitarian issues and understanding of the humanitarian work environment: rapidly changing needs and requiring responsiveness
• Curiosity and open to new technologies, processes and tools.
Languages: Good Level in English and French.
• ESRI Tools: ArcGIS Pro, AGOL.
• QGIS an asset
• Leaflet, openlayers3 an asset.
• Python, FME an asset
• Graphic/Design software (Illustrator, Inskape..)
• Mobile Data collection tools: Collector for ArcGIS, ODK , an asset
• Project Management tools, ticketing system.
Applications (CV and letter of intent) to be submitted via online form by January the 4th:
Please make sure to select the correct position title when submitting your application.
CartONG reserves the right to close the recruitment earlier if sufficient and satisfactory applications are received.